Saturday, July 9, 2011

Long lost photos

Beginning immediately after my twins were born and for the next three days or so while I stayed in our local hospital and they were transferred to the NICU in another city, my memories are very hazy. There were many things that happened that I was not aware of, and quite honestly, Phil was doing the parent thing "solo". He went back and forth to Montgomery to see them and get daily updates. Then, he would come back to my hospital to bring me pictures and visit with me. Before the pediatrician made the decision to transfer them to a higher level NICU, they were in our hospital's special care nursery for a while. Recently, Phillip, Phil's dad, aka Granddaddy, used a camera he had not used in a long time. And guess what he found when he turned the camera on? Pictures from the day the twins were born. When he told me this, my heart started beating so fast. More details for me about that day they were born... what the feelings of other people were, how they looked in those first hours... All of these things have been told to me through our family's memories, but I just didn't see it for myself. I didn't get those first pictures of everyone holding the babies in my hospital room or feeding them for the first time. We got all of that later but just not in those early days. When I look back on it, would I have changed it? Yes, yes I would. A lot of times people say they wouldn't change things when they look back. But, if I could have had healthy babies with me right then. Then, I would have chosen that. If I could have held them the day they were born, I would change that. But, that was not in the plan. So, since it was not, I cling to pictures like these... taken through a glass window, to see what those days were like from someone else's perspective. And now, it still so difficult to comprehend that these little oxygen-tented babies are the almost-three year olds that just asked me for more milk in their cups. Amazing!!




I'm pretty sure the next two are of Frannie.



I think this one is Rush because of the way his little legs are folded up. I remember seeing the pictures of his legs like this and thinking something would be wrong with his legs. I think Frannie just sat on him for so long, he didn't have any other choice. :-)


3 comments:

Michelle said...

precious precious time. Those two are such amazing little people. I have tears in my eyes. Kiss'em in the morning for me...xoxoxo

Elizabeth said...

Seriously. Tears pouring down my face... sweet little miracle babies!

AGreen said...

Yep, I just cried...at work! Precious, precious!